Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fork in the Road

Everyone has many forks in the road throughout the life journey. They can be small forks or big forks and some are even life changing forks. I sit here this morning at what could be a potentially life changing fork. Before I get into that, I will write about some of my forks.

Feb. 10, 1996 was a life changing fork. The day I got married. I had the choice to marry or not and part of me knew it was a bad idea but I did it anyway. Despite everything I went through then and now, I loved him and made the choice to marry. I still love him and always will. He is a part of me that I chose to let in. I can't take it back even though there have been many times I wish I could hit the rewind button, but I also have learned a great deal from my experiences.

Summer of 2002 was another huge fork. Without going into to much detail, I had to make decisions and lots of them. I was depressed beyond anything I could recognize. I was pregnant with child number 3 and caught my husband for the last time behaving inappropriately. I made some decisions over the next few months that I can't change but still think about. I'd like to think I learned from all of that but mostly I feel guilt and shame. Either way, that summer changed my life.

March 5, 2009, the day my friend drove me to CA and helped checked me into treatment. I could have not gone and laid in my bed until I died. I could have ignored my children, ignored that inner voice that knew I needed something different, but I didn't. I got in that car and left my family behind to do something I thought was extremely selfish. It changed my life. I learned so much while there, met some great people, and of course fell in love with the beach. A couple days ago I hit the 3 year mark and have been depressed about it. I am very unsure of my feelings. One thing I do know is that I am sad about some of the choices I have made since then. All the little forks.

Today I sit here wondering what happened to my life. I have been up all night picking apart every detail of the last couple of years. Those little forks and the big ones and why I made the choices I did. You see I am so convinced that I can't do this. I just can't raise 3 girls on my own and I can't do what everyone expects me to do. I can't even figure out life for myself.

My fork this morning is very complex. I am failure. I failed at so many things that I was expected to do well in. How much of this failure is me setting myself up for it and how much is out of my control? I really want to give up. I want to throw the towel in and run away. Just throw some clothes in my car and drive, anywhere but here. The choices I have made that may have led up to this fork are unbearable. I am lost, lonely, scared, standing at this fork with no idea what to do. No idea how to fix this and no idea what decisions to make. I fear not being able to pick myself up from this one.

Forks....

No comments:

Post a Comment