Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Frustration or Gratefulness?

So I let go of my pride and walked into the welfare office to apply for food stamps. I also turned in an application at their schools for the free/reduced lunch program. Pride? Well because it means I am a failure at providing for my girls. Anyway, a week later I find out that I only qualify for $30 a month. What? How does a single mom of 3 children only qualify for so little? How do I feed my girls on $30 a month? Of course my first reaction is not of thankfulness, it's of frustration and unfairness. It's validating my inability to provide for my girls. I felt horrible. Now what? How do I feed them?

I received a letter from their schools and I anxiously opened it. They all said that my girls qualify for free lunches and breakfasts. Phew! That's two meals they can eat. I explained to them that they can now eat at school and of course added on to be grateful that they have this opportunity. As teenagers, they complained at first, just as I did about the food stamps. They don't want to known as the poor kids in line. I understand how hard it is but continued to explain to them that we all need to be grateful for what we do have because there are some out there that are living out their cars or worse, on the streets picking food from the trash.

Talk about a different perspective. I get to that parent side of me and completely change how I am thinking. I am grateful that my girls will be able to eat 2 decent meals a day. I am grateful that they have opportunities other kids don't have like even being able to go to school. And even though I only get $30 a month, I get $30 a month. I can get some milk, peanut butter and bread. Sure it may get boring, but it's food. I am thankful that my situation is not worse than it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment